2009/11/17

Quick Observations: Hong Kong

Just some quick observations for my 3 days in HK so far:

1. My apartment is only 15 min walk to office in Central and on my way there are all those big name brands.  Nice window displays – but their shallowness is as obvious as they are expensive – esp. after i find my thinking actually coincide with some of the Buddhist perspectives.    This is such a superficial place.  I would prefer something more local.  And i hope it could be quieter on the road so that i can hear my iPod better… 

2. So i am now on the FX trading floor.  Very different culture.  Quick-fire.   A lot of F words.  I like it better than the fake laughters and kids/bags talk in my previous environment.    The funny thing is on the first day, i overheard one guy asking the other,  kind of like, shall we pay more attention to our language since Huan is here?  The other said, no, she doesn’t understand.   Well, guys, do you know I am fan of South Park and you could actually improve the variety of your foul language?

3.  Because i am on the floor, we have TV on all the time.  So I saw the Obama’s meeting with the young students in Shanghai.  I am so ashamed of the students.  After careful handpicking of “good” students, these 20ish students totally lacked inspiration or life.   I’m sure they have prepared their questions well in advance and practised many times, how come some of them could not even say the questions well?  I heard that local newspaper say “their English is better than Obama”….come on!  don’t make me sick.   And regarding those questions, 2/3 of the words are not questions – they are useless compliments or expression of honor.   These kids need to learn how to be succint!   In the end, I think the only worthy question came from Internet regarding firewall.   If these students are the flower of the next generation, prepared by our government for the future, I’m disappointed.

4. Green Day and the Killers are coming to HK for concerts in January.  I’m excited!

5. Many things are the same as before when i was in HK for 2 months in the summer of 2004.  Memories unfold as i walk around.   I need to unwind this weekend.   Now my work day starts so early…

没有评论: